"ancestors" in NYT

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 10 18:37:26 UTC 2012

I know we have discussed the about-face for ancestors before on this
listserv (whereby one ancestors come after), but today's NYT has both
uses in the same paragraph:

 From the print edition (10 Jun 2012, Sect. 1 p.6) article "Violence
Hits Brazil Tribes in Scramble for Land."

The expansion of hugh cattle ranches and industrial-scale farms in
remote regions has produced a land scramble that is leaving the
ancestors of Brazil's original inhabitants desperate to recover tribal
terrains, in some case squatting on contested properties. Non-
indigenous landowners, meanwhile, many of whom live on land settled
decades ago by their own ancestors under the government's so-called
colonization programs, are just as attached to their claims.

Barbara

Barbara Need
Etna, NY