According to MW: Top-10 Commonly-Confused Words, Vol. 2

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 23:41:20 UTC 2012

Perhaps hail/hale didn't make it to the top because 1) it's not common
enough and 2) almost no one cares. Is it anywhere on the list? I know
very few people who have any idea that this is even an issue.

     VS-)