fair dinkum? (part 2 Dinkum Smith etc.)

Wed Jun 13 14:01:36 UTC 2012

Green's Dictionary has:
noun: "a fair share of work", from 1888 (Rolf Boldrewood); also several
special sense from WWI
adjective: "honest, genuine, esp as Fair Dinkum" (a separate entry), from
1905 ("Duke Tritton's Letter"
qdverb: "honestly, genuinely', from 1917 (W. Muir, which includes a nice
explanatory note saying that "square dinkum" "is an Antipodean verbal
flourish" similar to the American Sure enough and the Limey Not 'arf.)

Under "fair dinkum":
adjective, also square dinkum: 1914 (E Dyson)
exclamation, with variants: 1894 (Bulletin)

As for "Australian Town and Country Journal (New South Wales) Saturday 30
August 1879 p 33:
   ... Morning Gallops. The work on Randwick last Saturday was almost of a
purely sensational nature, and everything that put in an appearance did
really serviceable work. The following are the principal items :- Mabel,
the up-country mare, was sent what is known as "fair dinkum".... [sent by
heart, grace, or the jockey?]"
No doubt the practice of training race-horses was very different 125 years
ago -- I don't know whether heat-races were still the standard practice,
but----
Nowadays race horses take surprisingly little exercise.  They are on the
track, ambling about, for an hour a day, and the rest of the time they
stand in their stall.  A part of the ambling session usually includes a
short sprint.  The sprint is run either at the horse's own pace or under
urging by the exercise rider (a "hand ride").  If there was a similar
practice in 1879, then perhaps Mabel, the up-country mare, was being worked
under urging.
I understand that attempts to teach horses to do push-ups have had only
mixed success, but still, I can't imagine a successful human athlete in
leisurely training an hour a day and spending the rest of the time sitting
on the couch.

"heat-races": the great match race between Eclipse and Henry, on Long
Island in 1823, was three four-mile heats -- try asking a modern
thoroughbred to do that!

GAT, the horse-player

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Stephen Goranson <goranson at duke.edu> wrote:

> The English Midlands (especially Lincolnshire) and Australia (especially
> New South Wales) are the areas where "fair dinkum" is earliest attested (so
> far).
>
> 1881 North Lincolnshire Words  p.117 (series C 26) : Fair-dinkum, that
> which is just and equitable [Google Books bibliographic data for the
> Glossary Series are mistaken]
> 1882 Nottingham Evening Post 23 Feb p. 2 Linciln Conservating Club."... be
> : fair dinkum to all classes of people. Now they in Lincoln knew there had
> been some very strong prosecutions of people who had in neighbouring town
> indulged ... ?
>
> 1848 Fri 14 Sept Lincolnshire Chronicle p.5 col. 5: “ George Smith, alias
> Dinkum Smith, a notorious thief, who has been for a long time the very
> dread of the neighbourhood of Rasen, was last week apprehended by
> Superintendent Forck ... "
> I wonder why he took, or was given, the name Dinkum. Any suggestions?
>
> Thomas Alexander Browne, alias Rolf Boldrewood,  wrote  Robbery Under
> Arms. 1888, cited in OED. It had already been serialized in 1882-3 in
> Sydney Mail.  "It took us an hour's hard dinkum to get near the peak."
> Dinkum there means work, and it surely does not support the "good gold, din
> kum," folk etmology--especially since Browne was a gold commissioner since
> 1876. He had arrived in Sydney in 1831 (at age 5?). (Thomas Alexander
> Browne...Bibliography, Keast Burke 1956.)
>

> I don't know if Green's DS or Butler's Dinkum Dictionary (3rd ed.) add
> anything (anyone care to see?). Not in DARE.
>
> [Likely unrelated: Alabama Folksongs. "hi yo dinkum darkey" [Worldcat].
> NYT BR GB Haiti song 1921 - Snippet view chorus
> CWng-a rl ng-a ri ng-ch Ing-cha Hl-o-dinkum darky (Repeat).]
> *******

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.