eargasm

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jun 15 16:20:00 UTC 2012

On Jun 15, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:
Jon Lighter wrote:

> Not in OED. 268,000 Google hits. At Urbandictionary.com for several years.
>
> 2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXhJp0W0ku2w
>
> "Oh my god their voices are=EF=BB=BF like an eargasm XD"
>
> "XD" seems to be an emoticon meaning something like "so happy, I'm dead."

GP on LLog, 2/8/10: Isms, gasms, etc.:
 http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2108

with some discussion of the playful libfix -gasm, especially in the (many) comments, which mention a large number of examples (nerdgasm, braingasm, bookgasm, foodgasm, wargasm, Shoegasm. etc.) and a large number of jokey inventions (flabbergasm, ectoplasmgasm, Vascodagasm, etc.). The first set includes eargasm -- in a comment by Ben Zimmer, who noted a 1976 Johnnie Taylor album with that title.

arnold