clown question

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 18 16:58:13 UTC 2012

Aren't they both -- the "class clown" and Harper's "clown question"
(which I take as "question from a clown") related to the "ignorance" part of:

OED2 "clown, n.", sense 2. "transf. A man without refinement or
culture; an ignorant, rude, uncouth, ill-bred man."?

Evolving from sense 1.b, "Implying ignorance, crassness, or rude
manners: A mere rustic, a peasant."

Both date from the 16th century, with the "peasant" association
having dropped out because once they began claiming that they were
better than the French the English decided to deny they had any peasants.

Joel