Idiom: ducks in a row (1889)

Tue Jun 19 07:00:02 UTC 2012

Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> I found a citation from 1896 that matches the 1901
> citation and seems plausible as the source of this expression.
>
> The Free Thought Magazine, Volume 14, H.L. Green (http://ow.ly/bFvBv)
>
> -----
> Sporting men are beginning to think that Mr. Cleveland
> is not a real sportsman, especially after reading of
> potshots made from his blind at ducks lined up in a
> row on purpose that they may be shot into with deadly effect.
> -----

Benjamin: Great cite for a high-profile story involving the President!
Below is a report of the same story in a Boston newspaper in March
1896 with the phrases "ducks lined up in a row" and "President Has
Ducks Lined Up for Him".

Cite: 1896 March 24, Boston Journal, The President as a Sportsman:
Criticism of the Way the President Has Ducks Lined Up for Him to
Shoot, Page 3, Column 3, Boston, Massachusetts. (GenealogyBank)
[Begin excerpt]
Sportsmen are beginning to think that Mr. Cleveland is not a real
sportsman especially after reading of pot-shots made from his blind at
ducks lined up in a row on purpose that they may be shot into with
deadly effect. Judged from the English standard, Mr. Cleveland is a
sportsman, for Englishmen often kill a hundred ducks with a one-bore
punt gun mounted like a swivel in the bow of a boat, loaded with two
pounds of shot.
[End excerpt]

This would be a somewhat gruesome metaphor. It is possible that the
early users had differing perceptions of the derivation of the phrase.

Garson