Cut one's name

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jun 20 15:27:35 UTC 2012

I don't think it's a (mixed metaphor? blend?).  Rather, "to inscribe
permanently or deeply, as on a monument or honor roll."

It tales a while to search "cut, v."in the OED.  Some possible
ancestral relatives:

16.b. To come across, strike, hit upon (a path, etc.). esp. U.S. with trail.

VI. To shape, fashion, form, or make by cutting.
  23.a. To make or form by cutting (e.g. a statue, engraving, seal,
jewel, etc.), to sculpture or carve (a statue or image), to engrave
(a plate, seal, etc.), to fashion (a stone or jewel), to shape
(garments, utensils, etc.).

Or perhaps another ancestral relative?

25. To perform or execute (an action, gesture, or display of a
grotesque, striking, or notable kind): chiefly in certain established
phrases, as to cut a caper [etc.].

Joel