Quote: Military Intelligence to him is a contradiction in terms (John Charteris 1931)

Wed Jun 20 21:08:50 UTC 2012

Thanks Jon. Here again is the citation under discussion:

Cite: 1931, At G.H.Q. by John Charteris, Quote Page 136, Cassell and
Company, Ltd., London. (Verified with scans; Thanks to the librarians
at Denison University)
[Begin excerpt]
Curzon did not give much time to Intelligence work. I fancy Military
Intelligence to him is a contradiction in terms.
[End excerpt]

A scan of page 135 from "At G.H.Q." indicates that the date of the
diary entry containing the quotation above was February 5, 1916. The
blog post I eventually write on this topic will include this date, but
will also mention that Charteris said that his dates were not
reliable.

"A Dictionary of English Folklore" (2000) by Jacqueline Simpson and
Steve Roud from Oxford University Press has this:
[Begin excerpt]
But Charteris himself said that in writing his memoirs he amplified
his contemporary notes from his recollections, so his dating cannot be
relied on.
[End excerpt]

The above statement is in a section about a WWI legend called "Angels
of Mons". The leading theory is that the legend was initiated by a
short story called "The Bowmen" by Arthur Machen. A diary entry by
Charteris about the legend antedated this tale. But the statement by
Charteris given above resolved (or reduced) the discrepancy.

Garson