antedating of SWAG

Thu Jun 21 18:12:25 UTC 2012

Here are instances of "wag" and "swag" in an Associated Press report
in November 1965. The reporter (or an editor) seems to be suppressing
the word "ass" which is not mentioned when the acronyms are explained.
Hence, "swag" becomes "stupid wild guess".

Cite: 1965 November 26, Seattle Daily Times, "Accuracy, Value of Body
Tally Questioned" by John T. Wheeler, [Associated Press], Page 9 [GNB
Page 11], Seattle, Wasington. (GenealogyBank)

[Begin excerpt]
In the field, officers went to units demanding a "wag" court to give
Saigon. This meant a wild guess of the number of enemy killed based on
bodies counted and on estimates by individual squads, platoon and
companies. As the pressure from Saigon mounted the jargon was altered
to "swag" count, meaning stupid wild guess.
[End excerpt]

Garson