Kombucha

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Jun 22 02:23:04 UTC 2012

--

I guess this fermented tea stuff called kombucha is completely distinct
from the Japanese kelp tea called (in Japanese) konbucha/kombucha or

So maybe the name for the fermented stuff actually came from somewhere
else (perhaps subsequently altered to match the name of Japanese kelp
tea with which it was confused)?

Here is a candidate:

康普茶 = kang1 pu3 cha2

-- apparently one of the Chinese names for this fermented stuff (of
course "cha" is "cha" is cha[r] is tea).

This appears (e.g.) in the first line of body text in the pertinent
Chinese Wikipedia page:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%BA%A2%E8%8C%B6%E8%8F%8C

Here is "What is kangpucha?" from Baidu (in Chinese):

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/148978..

-- Doug Wilson