"The last war fought between gentlemen"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 22 21:22:40 UTC 2012

There seem to be no 19th C. exx. of the phr. "war between gentlemen."

Back then the assumption was that all commissioned officers were gentlemen
by definition and all enlisted men were, well, farm boys and (except during
said American Civil War) losers and ne'er-do-wells.

JL