"The _hopper_"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 25 01:20:18 UTC 2012

I assume that everyone else has also seen the TV ad for some form of
fast-food product called the "hopper." If it wasn't for the fact that
the word is spelled out, I'd swear that the speakers were saying "the
*harper.*" Do any other r-less / arrhotic speakers also get this
impression? IMO, the vowel is much too long not to entrain a vocalized
/r/. Of course,

Youneverknow. YMMV.

--
-Wilson