"The _hopper_"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 25 04:00:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> that kind of New Orleanian that sounds somewhat like Brooklyn?

In BE, it's all throughout the South and other dark corners of the
country, complete with the mirror-image phenomenon: "coin > "kern."
And, on an individual basis that, IMO is really weird, the same
person, e.g my mother, will say "j[^r]dge," but "m[^I]ch," whereas
another person, e.g. neighbor-girl - well, like me, she'd now be in
her mid-seventies - Catherine "Cat" Bird, will say "j[^I]dge," but
"m[^r]ch."

--
-Wilson
-----