"ultrajectine", 1730, not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 25 21:44:34 UTC 2012

Thanks re Douglass to Douglas Wilson and Wilson Gray (there is surely
some mystic connection, given these names) for the pointer to
Utrecht; it's undoubtedly correct.  (And I am embarrassed about my
error: I had forgotten that Douglass studied at Edinburgh but his MD
actually was from Untrecht.)

However, the explanation is neither Douglas's first-offered (some
theological sect or issue) nor Wilson's (on the further, left side of
the (Charles) river), but something simpler (Douglas's second offer):

Samuel Mather is simply describing William Douglass as a doctor from
(having a degree from) Untrecht.  Douglass always made much of the
fact that he was the only graduated physician in Boston, and that
some other practitioners (Boylston in particular) did not have
medical degrees.  Mather's not-so-hidden message is that despite
Douglass's being/acting ultra-Untrechian he is no better than the
dockside porters, who hear and believe all kinds of rumors from
arriving travelers and sailors.

Joel