famous quote syntactically mangled, nobody notices

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 30 18:59:35 UTC 2012

Cooke was himself the "early biographer" (1871) referred to.  _Surry_ is
fiction.

Cooke, a successful novelist, was an officer on Jeb Stuart's staff. I
haven't found any information as to Cooke's whereabouts at the battle of
Fredericksburg. I suspect that he heard the comment at second hand
and tweaked it into memorable form.

Only to be untweaked by the Internet.

JL