End the word (was: a word from "Huck Finn")

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Mar 2 22:12:21 UTC 2012

I just got a campus announcement about a series of events under the heading "Spread the Word to End the Word." Nowhere was the word in question noted. They did mention "persons with disabilities" but I had to google the campaign name to discover that they're seeking an end to the r-word ("retard(ed)"). Since they mentioned disabilities, I thought they might be after "lame" which is also a target of language policing.

-Matt Gordon