Beware the fury of the Legions (attributed to Marcus Flavius) (1961 English 1960 French)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Mar 3 19:14:46 UTC 2012

--

Here is a short discussion of the provenance of Larteguy's text:

http://www.empereurs-romains.net/empret62a.htm#5a

A possible inspiration: Ellis Cornelia Knight's 1792 novel _Marcus
Flaminius_ (written in the form of letters from Marcus) (available
on-line, at G-books and elsewhere, French translation also available).

Incidentally and perhaps irrelevantly, I see that the phrase "la colère
des Légions" is found in French translations of Tacitus (e.g., for
"iracundia legionum" [Historiae_ 4:25], for "contumelia legionum"
[_Annales_ 2:13]).

-- Doug Wilson