look their noses down

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Mar 6 23:51:27 UTC 2012

--

My first thought was that this expression (which I've never encountered
AFAIK) exemplified German-influenced English (perhaps as a joke) along

One possibility: somebody 'reasoned' that, since "He turned up his nose
at me" can be replaced with "He turned his nose up at me", the
essentially-synonymous "He looked down his nose at me" can likewise be
replaced with "He looked his nose down at me": I suppose implicitly
taking "look [down]" as transitive, something one can do to/with one's nose.

I wonder whether the same writer who uses "look one's nose down" also
uses other odd inversions of the "go the stairs up" type.

-- Doug Wilson