Plumbing the depths of Joe the Plumber's "dictionary

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 9 15:19:55 UTC 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Ronald Butters wrote:

> Sounds like word games to me. This is no different than if he had said, "It's fine to call them faggots, because that just means a stick of wood." "It's fine to call them niggers, cuz that just means black."

There's that, and also the point Ron raised earlier, on the difference between _queer_ as an adjective (especially when it's describing something inanimate or abstract) and _queer_ as a noun (not only as a vocative slur, but in the "Jimmy's a queer" example).  This gets back to the power of nouns to categorize, which makes them especially useful for slurs, as discussed by Bolinger (calling someone a fatso, or a deserter, rather than calling them fat, or saying they deserted).  And even when it's not a slur, the noun is stronger, whence the "he's a Jew" vs. "he's Jewish" distinction we've just been (re)touching on.

Perhaps calling someone *a* queer rather than calling them queer could be described as "dropping a hard Q".

LH