The Slants

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 9 21:41:19 UTC 2012

At 3/9/2012 02:13 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>1895
>http://goo.gl/cnMbM
>>They are only fair-sized, and they are the ordinary round eyes of
>>Americans -- not the almond of the Spanish, or the fascinating /slant
>>eyes/ of the Orientals
>
>There are a couple of clusters in mid 1870s and late 1890s, but not one
>I found so far is meant as a slur. Merely descriptive, for the period.

I take the association of "slant-eyed" with the
"saffron-coloured race" (1865; OED) and with
"slant-eyed Mongols" undercutting "white
merchants" (1880) and with the "Slant-Eyed
Individuals" who "Have a Way of Beating the New
Law" (1894) as the beginnings of a (written)
transition from "Merely descriptive" to racially
derogatory.  And many of the "merely descriptive"
instances between 1865 and 1895 in GBooks are
associated with negative characteristics --
wrinkled, lame; in crooked streets and dark
alleys; ugly wife, a short-statured,
large-mouthed, slant- eyed, bushy-haired
hypochondriac; queer, slant -eyed, yellow-
skinned heathens; measly slant-eyed Chinaman;
slant-eyed pagans.  (More than a couple of
Christian writers in this period refer to
slant-eyed infidels.)  Despite John Greenleaf
Whittier's "slant-eyed *sages* of Cathay" (but he
marched to a different drummer).

1921 June 18 -- Saturday Evening Post -- "Well,
of all the locoed slant-eyed Chinks I ever saw ­" he began, then paused.

1921 -- William Le Roy Stidger, Flash-lights from
the seven seas -- THE Jap is the slant-eyed Hun
of the Orient. He has a slant-eyed ethics, a
slant-eyed morality, a slant-eyed honesty, a
slant-eyed social consciousness ; a slant-eyed
ambition, a slant-eyed military system; and a
slant-eyed mind!" said Peter Clarke Macfarlane
... [Opening quotation mark is missing in text.]

And surely a racial slur by the time of the 1943
"leering slant-eyed Oriental. He was creeping stealthily forward".

P.S.  "Slant-eyed" can be antedated (by Google
Books) to 1791 -- Homer, The Iliad, "Pray'rs are
Jove's daughters, * wrinkled, lame,
slant-eyed'."  Snippet.  WorldCat has several listings dated 1791.

Joel