A slow-spreading(?) slur: "_anti_-slant[-]eye"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 10 22:23:17 UTC 2012

For some reason, this mistakenly went to Jim only:

The Huns were theorized in the 18th C. to have originated somewhere in the
far eastern reaches of Mongolia or Manchuria.  As I understand it, there's
not much evidence to support this idea. It may have been based in part on
the fact that the Huns were so weird, wild, and crazy, they must have been
"Orientals."

It seems more likely that they were a Turkic people - certainly their
principal language appears to have been Turkic.

Even the latest "Attila the Hun" movie (2001), starring the non-epicanthial
Gerard Butler as Attila, seems implicitly to accept the Turkic theory. The
silence of Ammianus offers minor support.

JL