blogress

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 11 03:37:45 UTC 2012

Yes, my point.  I was objecting below (vainly, it turns out) to "blogess" as the counterpart of "blogger", not to "blogress".  In other words, I was endorsing the analogy you criticize me for not endorsing.

"Blogess" differs from "blogette" in wearing a feminine suffix that is not a diminutive, which is why a goddess is not (or at least not necessarily) a godette, and why "governess" (while not exactly the feminine counterpart of "governor" semantically) doesn't trivialize the way "majorette" does.

LH