Endangered specie (coinages)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 11 11:45:59 UTC 2012

I look "specie" up in thefreedictionary.com It's a coin, but the plural is a whole different word meaning "class".

Pronunciation was strange for US

US ~spishee (rhymes with fishy)
UK ~speeshee
icon ~speeshee

The same for the plural "species". The US speaker says ~spisheez. I've not heard it said this way.

Another "ci" word is "social" which Pres. Clinton pronounces ~soesool (~oe as in "toe" ~ool as in "wool"). The three voices of thefreedictionary.com say ~soeshool, which I'm glad to hear because I assume that is correct. Not even an option for ~soesool is given although ~speesee is mentioned as an option for "specie and species"

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk