I Love Little Pussy

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 11 20:00:57 UTC 2012

Truly pathetic.

These exx. are either from many years ago or entirely irrelevant (like
Pussy Galore, who was not a feline).  And if "pussy" is always accepted as
innocent, why wasn't it "Josie and the Pussies"?

_Pussy_ 'coward; weakling' has strongly sexual/sexist overtones and always
has, in my experience. That's not to say that some benighted souls don't
derive it from "pussycat." But it will be a long time before you hear a
public figure use it before a crowd, IMO.  ("Wimp," of course, is fine.)

To restate the point: it is no longer customary in my experience for adults
to refer to cats affectionately (at least within the hearing of other
people) as "pussies" or "pussycats." The words they prefer are "kitties"
and "kitty-cats."  Or "puddies" or  "puddy-tats."

For obvious reasons.

Ask a vet.

JL