Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Mon Mar 12 14:20:59 UTC 2012

Ronald Butters wrote:
> It is useful to distinguish between anachronism and subreption.
>
> "Your phone is ringing" is not an anachronism--the meaning has
> essentially the same as it was before, it is simply that the technology
> has changed, a common process that is sometimes labeled
> SUBREPTION in historical lexicography. I would say much the
> same thing about "address  book" and "dial the wrong number." ...

I think "address book" has been redefined by some users to correspond
to an electronic database of addresses and other information. This
switch began years ago. Perhaps it was triggered by the "address book"
designation used in email programs.

The advertising copy at Amazon.com for the Kindle reader attempts to
shift the semantics of the term "book" so that it refers to what was
recently called an "electronic book", "e-book", or "ebook". More
precisely, the text attempts to shift the definition of "book" so that
it corresponds to a proprietary Kindle-formatted electronic book.

The retronym "physical book" is used repeatedly to contrast with the
newly redefined "book".

[Begin excerpts from descriptive material at Amazon.com for the Kindle
electronic book reader]

Storage: 8GB on device for 80 apps plus either 10 movies or 800 songs
or 6,000 books

Content: Millions of books, newspapers, magazines, games, and docs

Easy on the Eyes: E Ink uses actual ink particles to create crisp,
print-like text similar to what you see in a physical book. And Kindle
e-readers also use proprietary, hand-built fonts to take advantage of
the special characteristics of the ink to make letters appear clear
and sharp.

Lose Yourself in Your Reading: The most elegant feature of a physical
book is that it disappears while you're reading. Immersed in the
author's world and ideas, you don't notice a book's glue, the
stitching, or ink. Our top design objective is to make Kindle
disappear — just like a physical book — so you can get lost in your
reading, not the technology.

Adjustable Text Sizes, Font Choices Kindle has eight adjustable font
sizes to suit your reading preference. You can increase the text size
of your favorite book or periodical with the push of a button.

[End excerpts]

Garson