Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 13 15:46:35 UTC 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> More than once recently, I have heard "physical" books (or "hard-copy books," or "paper-and-ink books" or "non-e-books") jocularly referred to as "brick-and-mortar books."  It's hard to Google the term, because the sequence "brick and mortar book store" gets included.
>
> Charlie

Reminds me of the attempt (OK, not a *serious* attempt) to generalize "acoustic" as an all-purpose retronymic modifier, whence "acoustic clocks", "acoustic mail", etc.  Didn't catch on.  Possibly the ugliest is "meat", as in "meat people" (as opposed to androids and such).  "Acoustic" is much gentler.

LH