OT: side effects

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 14 17:30:06 UTC 2012

Just wanted to post on the side effects of the Great Boston Transformer
Fire. Due to electrical shutdown in much of the city, the main branch of
the Boston Public Library is closed. More importantly, so are all the
BPL computers, including their proxy server. That means that for most of
the state, there is no access to OED, JSTOR and other databases that are
linked through the BPL. Other websites were affected last night, but
most seem to be back up now. All Boston area colleges, most museums,
etc., appear to run their websites from off-site servers, so access is
not affected. The blackout is limited to parts of Boston proper,
Brighton/Allston, and several blocks in Brookline. At least, that was
the case last night--I am not sure how extensive the blackouts are right
now as I have not been following the news particularly closely.

     VS-)