Heard on The Doctors: _bug juice_

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 15 00:22:48 UTC 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> Common in the Navy in the 1050s for any nominally potable liquid
> (including "au jus" and redeye gravy, I think).

well, now, that *is* a survival!

but -- correcting the typo -- i found some evidence of military usage, probably before the summer-camp usage (though it wouldn't be surprising if these were related).  i'm overwhelmed with other stuff and am not much on tracking usages back in time, but this might make a little project of cultural interest for someone.

arnold