mystery meat

Sat Mar 17 03:49:34 UTC 2012

Here is an instance of a precursor phrase "mysterious meat" in 1918.
There are other examples of "mysterious meat", but this instance is
employed in a fashion that is closely analogous to "mystery meat" I
think.

Cite: 1918, A Yankee in the Trenches by R. Derby Holmes, Page 55,
Little, Brown and Company, Boston.

[Begin excerpt]
Open a can of Maconochie and you find a gooey gob of grease, like
rancid lard. Investigate and you find chunks of carrot and other
unidentifiable material, and now and then a bit of mysterious meat.
The first man who ate an oyster had courage, but the last man who ate
Maconochie's unheated had more.
[End excerpt]