Antedating of "Chocoholic"

Mon Mar 19 02:45:18 UTC 2012

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> The OED's first use for "chocoholic" is dated 1972.  Here is an earlier
> citation:
>
> 1966 _Boston Globe_ 19 Aug. 29 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)
> Yes, I do  like chocolate.  In fact, some days I am a chocoholic!

Nice find. In this 1961 cite the word "chocoholic" was introduced with
a question.

Cite: 1961 January 11, Pasadena Independent, Lyle W. Nash: Reporter at
Large, Page 7, Column 6, Pasadena, California. (NewspaperArchive)
[Begin excerpt]
Would you call a person who is over fond of chocolates a chocoholic?
[End excerpt]

Garson