White Flag -- "rythm", no vowel in

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 20 01:20:50 UTC 2012

This is not something that a linguist would say, really. It confuses spelling and pronunciation, for one thing. I think the schoolmarms and -masters  were thinking of the <y> in "yes" as a "consonant," but I am not sure what they were thinking of in calling <w> a vowel.

Some analysis of English would see the difference between /ow/ (as in "boat") and /oy/ (as in "boy") as involving the difference in the vowel offgflides; a minimal pair would be "toe" and "toy".