A prophet without honor

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 20 02:28:43 UTC 2012

TIME, vol.171

Briton Hadden, Henry Robinson Luce - 1973 - Snippet view
Initially reggae was earthy, sexually explicit and abounding in joie
de vivre: " Work with me, Annie, let's get it while the gittin' is
good," a typical reggae began.

"Work with me, Annie, let's get it while the gittin' is good," _a
typical reggae_ began.

<sigh!>

Cf. W:pedia:

"Work With Me, Annie" is a 12-bar blues with words and music by Hank
Ballard. It was recorded by Hank Ballard & the Midnighters (formerly
The Royals) in Cincinnati on the Federal Records label on January 14,
1954, and released the following month. The Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) immediately opposed it because of its overtly-sexual
lyrics, lyrics that had crossed over and were now being listened to by
a white, teenage audience. [OMG!] Because the record was in such
demand and received so much publicity, attempts to restrict it failed
and the record shot to number one on the R&B charts and remained there
for seven weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_with_Me,_Annie

WRT the name-change, the problem was that there already existed an
older group that styled itself, The Five Royales, and there was no
phonetic distinction, in the BE of the day, between _royal_ and
_royale_. Hence, the newer group was The Rawls and the older group was
The Five Rawls. You can see that confusion would have ensued.

And yes. I did think, at one time, that his name was "Lou _Royal_," -
hypercorrected - the surname _Rawls_ previously being unknown to me.

--
-Wilson
-----