White Flag -- "rythm", no vowel in

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 20 13:12:52 UTC 2012

Is it possible that the vowel classification of "w" was designed to cover
these OE exx.?

After all, English is English!

As for "cwm," it may seem like a cheat to some, but the OED cites show it
in English geology discourse, without apology, italics, or quotation marks
as far back as 1882.  That would make it no more non-English than a word
like "eclair."

Nor are cwms restricted to travels in Wales. There's even a cwm on Mount
Everest.

JL