Welsh is not as distant as Basque, Maltese, or Apache

Tue Mar 20 18:33:03 UTC 2012

That's a good catch. I looked in Crystal's "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language," and orthography refers to the choice of alphabet.

I've sometimes wondered about the use of "spelling" for languages not using the Latin alphabet, though.

Wikipedia says about spelling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling): "the writing of one or more words with letters and diacritics. In addition, the term often, but not always, means an accepted standard spelling or the process of naming the letters."

And orthography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthography): The orthography of a language specifies a standardized way of using a specific writing system (script) to write the language.

These articles seem to show the terms are identical for those languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_orthography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_orthography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_spelling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_spelling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_orthography separates spelling from punctuation. The reason seems to be because of the way terms are defined in Russian, but would you call comma use spelling? Probably punctuation is a part of orthography.

I think the use of letters in abugidas would also fall under spelling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abugida).

How about when you need to select from more than one script? That seems to fit more into "species a standardized way of using a specific writing system." Japanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_writing_system) has five scripts, including the Latin alphabet and Arabic numerals, and Korean has three: hangul, Chinese characters and the Latin alphabet. Saying you use the hiragana "ha" to represent the postposition "wa" seems like a spelling issue, but whether you use hiragana, katakana or kanji to write words for animals seems more like an orthographic choice.

How about selecting Chinese characters? "That word is _spelled_ with the Chinese character for 'flower' not 'tree'" seems odd to me even though it's a matter of which writing symbol is used. Or the use of determinatives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_hieroglyphs#Determinatives) in Egyptian that had no pronunciation? Orthography?

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA