Computer Mice or Mouses?

Wed Mar 21 19:26:42 UTC 2012

Victor Steinbok wrote
> First recorded use??? WTF? What about the X-driven VAXen? They had mice
> attached... surely there is "recorded" info on those in 1983 or earlier...

The OED has "mouse" in the computer sense starting in 1965. Here is
the citation:

1965 W. K. English & D. C. Engelbart Computer Aided-display Control
(Final Rep. Project 5061, Stanford Res. Inst.) 6   Within comfortable
reach of the user's right hand is a device called the ‘mouse’ which we
developed for evaluation . . as a means for selecting those displayed
text entities upon which the commands are to operate.

I don't see a separate entry for the plural "mice" in the computer
sense, unsurprisingly.

Under "mouse pad" the OED has a January 1982 citation containing the