FW: "Jass" card game in 1911 (from Barry Popik)

Thu Mar 22 14:14:48 UTC 2012

In September, 2005 I posted an item under the heading "Those Swinging
Swiss" which included
       ". . . the Swiss Jass Club, also of Baltimore, were represented in
the gathering.
       "The members of the Swiss societies . . . until a late hour last
night continued to enjoy the music and the other forms of
entertainment. The singing of Swiss patriotic songs was enjoyed by
all."
       Washington Post, July 31, 1905, p. 2, col. 5

The discussion included an explanation with reference to the card game.

GAT

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:50 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> 20120321
>
> Douglas G. Wilson RE: Jass (Swiss card game; Dutch joker card)
>
> WB: What about Yahtzee? (a poker-like dice game)
>
> DGW:  no connection of Jass with English jazz.
>
> WB: On the other hand, ages ago, one of my professors, Adolf Hoffmann,
> disdainfully referred to jazz as [dee YACHTS.muZiK] (??? foolish-music???).

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.