"give the bird" (Merrie Melodies, 1942)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 24 13:27:00 UTC 2012

I remember asking myelf the same question thirty-five years ago, when the
"finger" sense of "the bird" was still brand-new to me.

My conclusion was that the intended sense cannot be determined from the
cartoon.

My feeling (and that's all it is) is that if the "bird" was so widely
recognized as the "finger" in 1942 that it could be mentioned on screen, it
was equally the case that the gesture  was so obscene that the Hays Office
wouldn't have permitted a reference to it, particularly in a children's
cartoon.

The idea of "vile language" would have been OK, however, because it could
cover almost anything. In 1942, "god damn" and "bastard," for example, were
still proscribed.

JL