Eeyore

Sat Mar 24 17:31:36 UTC 2012

You see the same thing with Chinese: 叉燒, pronounced as chāshāo in Mandarin and caa1 siu1 in Cantonese has no "r" in it, but the English version often has it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu).

I also recall a Korean researcher, who was working on a proposal to create a new Romanization system. He was testing various spellings, and many of them added "r" in an attempt to force certain vowel sounds. Being an r-ful speaker, I told them all of those variants were less favorable.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA