Song-title in Cuban Spanish

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 25 02:30:36 UTC 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Michael Newman wrote:

> My husband, a Spanish syntactician. The phenomenon is called "inherent se" (se inherente).  It has syntactic consequences, for example you can't say "me comí manzanas" (without a determiner).  It creates some semantic differences, maybe not that different between I got a car and I got myself a car.

Or perhaps, which is what I was hoping, more like the personal dative in "I need me a new pickup truck" (vs. "I need a new pickup truck") or "I love me some him" (vs. "I love him"), which we've discussed in earlier threads and about which there has been a lot of work lately--including some by me, arguing that the PD adds a non-truth-conditional ("conventionally implicated") layer of meaning, as you note below.  So this is nice.  In many European languages, there's a much better established construction involving "affectee" datives that are *not* coreferential with the subject, translated as e.g. "She did me her homework", but the ones in which the datives are coreferential with the subjects are rarer and more constrained, at least in French, German, and other languages.

LH