pinkwashing

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 25 20:53:56 UTC 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 4:00 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> And a more interesting connection:
>
> http://goo.gl/Q1oJW
>> Consumers, beware: You may already be watching out for greenwashing
>> (unsubstantiated "green" claims) but you probably don't pay much
>> attention to pinkwashing--when companies that use chemicals known to
>> cause cancer position themselves as leaders in the fight against
>> breast cancer. It's not just hypocritical, it's dangerous.
>
> If I dig a bit more, I'm sure I will find other instances and not just
> with colors. But what fun would that be for everyone else?
>
>    VS-)

One relatively prevalent one seems to be "greywashing"/"graywashing", used both for the effective opposite of greenwashing (companies that seem to be less green than they really are; see http://blogs.ft.com/energy-source/2009/10/22/the-dreadful-scourge-of-greywashing/#axzz1qAD56nsV for a sardonic view) or for, well, "the act of misleading consumers regarding any purported age-associated benefits of a product or service" (http://www.icaa.cc/media/press2011/graywashing.htm).

Neither item strikes me as having the elegance of "(to be) dairy-queened".

LH