spook

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 26 00:21:43 UTC 2012

Nearer to the original meaning but still an antedating:

1936  _The Training School Bulletin_ XXXIV 174 [GB: snippet, confirmed at
HathiTrust]: For many centuries people with queer minds were either made
fun of, or thought to be some kind of spook, and nobody dared to hurt them;
which of course was very silly. Sometimes...their actions were strange and
their speech mixed up.

JL