Fwd: usage ridicule

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 28 18:00:34 UTC 2012

I asked another list (one dealing with the 18th century) about
Austen's "an house", "an husband", and so far have not gotten any
explanation -- just discussion of the "an before a/e/i/o/u/h" case --
e.g., "an historical" (for some).

But someone there asked Google for an Ngram for "a" vs. "an
historical".  It's interesting what happened about 1940.  Quoting him
without his permission:

>Here's a graph plotting the relative popularity of "a historical"
>and "an historical" from 1800 to 2000:
>
>http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=a+historical%2Can+historical&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3
>
>The explosion of "a historical" around the middle of the last
>century probably has to do with America's increasing dominance of
>the publishing world.  Still, limiting it to British English shows
>"a historical" is still the more common form.

Joel