calling dibs on "retronym treadmill"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 28 19:31:54 UTC 2012

At least I don't seem to find anyone else calling it that.  Of course the model is "euphemism treadmill", coined as far as I can tell by Steven Pinker for an observation dating back at least to Cicero.  The retronym treadmill is similar and I was just reminded of the pattern when I noticed a reference in this NYT piece in Sunday Styles on people (like me) who retain our "dumb phones":
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/fashion/a-hardy-group-holds-out-on-smartphones.html

Why does it illustrate the retronym treadmill? Well,
"Corded phone" (formerly known as "telephone") once cordless phones came into existence

Landline phone (formerly known as "telephone") once cell(ular)/mobile phones came into existence

Dumb phone (formerly known as "cell phone") once smart phones came into existence

…

"Dumb phone", of course, is not something either Teddy Wayne or I can call dibs on; there are 261K raw google hits, mostly (of course) in direct contrast with "smart phone".

LH