trademark v

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 28 20:02:08 UTC 2012

One interesting bit in this particular story--thanks for posting BTW--is
the caption in the accompanying photo. It reads, "A student NAVY Seal.
This is a bit puzzling. Newbie military types, I thought, have been
going under "trainees" or "recruits" or something even more specific to
the branch in question (e.g., officially "cadets", unofficially "pleebs"
in the Academies). "Student" is not something I was expecting.

Google now makes it difficult to search for collocations, but most of
the ones for "student Navy SEAL" appear to lead to comments on Chris
Christie calling a former SEAL--who also happens to be a law student at
Rutgers--an "idiot". Adding "-Christie" reduces the number of raw hits
to manageable 900+, which turns out to be only 36 actual hits. Of these,
only a handful lead to the same phrase and every single one of them
refers back to the WSJ story. There is one comment from a military
discussion list, and it's very succinct: "Student Navy SEAL rofl".

But a little more digging unearths another official Navy photo:

http://goo.gl/K18R9

The caption is "navy student in basic underwater demolition seal bud s
training ..."

Navy student? I'm just scratching my head...

     VS-)

     VS-)