return of "colored"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 29 14:28:54 UTC 2012

On Mar 29, 2012, at 9:49 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Once trendy? Once trendy?

Well, it *was* once trendy; doesn't mean it can't have retrended.  As the late Mitch Hedberg was fond of pointing out, "I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too."

As for "person of color", I was surprised to see it invoked in a letter written (possibly by John Quincy Adams, I forget) on view in a museum exhibition on the Amistad case, from 1840 or earlier.

LH