Among the New Words, Winter 2011 (was Re: photo-bomb)

Tue May 1 03:46:32 UTC 2012

Ben Zimmer wrote:
> But just as no home should be without HDAS, I'd also hope that
> ADS-Lers would work out some sort of access to AmSp, whether
> through an individual or university subscription.

It is not easy for an independent researcher to gain access to
American Speech. JSTOR does have excellent coverage of older issues,
but there is a wall that blocks access to material for more than
twelve years.

American Speech
Coverage: 1925-1999 (Vols. 1-74)
Published by: Duke University Press
Fixed Wall: 1/1/2000

Also, it is not easy for an independent researcher to gain access to
JSTOR. Some universities allow an individual to access JSTOR while
sitting at a library terminal. Some universities participate in the
"Alumni Access Pilot" program described here:

http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/libraries/alumni

Membership in the American Dialect Society does include a subscription
to American Speech, the society’s quarterly journal.