1947 Archie Comic "butthole." What did it mean?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 3 16:13:15 UTC 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> I sent the following several hours ago, but, as far as I can tell,  it never got posted (that happens to a certain percentage of the items I endeavor to post-- perhaps 5% or 10%).
>
> <<  I must confess:  The (now in print) _Dictionary of Modern Proverbs_ lacks an entry for "Theories are like assholes . . . ."  However, entries for the more common "Excuses are like assholes . . ." and "Opinions are like assholes . . ." do appear (with the silly "armpits" variants).  >>
>
> --Charlie

That *is* a silly variant, since we've all (well, most of us, anyway) got two of those.  Although I suppose in that form the punchline would be "We've all got 'em" or the link.  But the substitution, presumably prompted by the paucity of odiferous concave body parts beginning with a-, is not unprecedented; various places are typically described alternatively as "the asshole/armpit of X", where X is a larger geographical entity.

LH