The playground "slide"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 3 17:00:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Wilson, speaking for the East Texas Caucasian Caucus: Â My childhood term for a 'playground slide' was also "sliding board."

Are you old enough to remember when the were made with parallel,
double-curved, wooden slats? Later, they had steel lining. That made
them safer, WRT to splinters and such. OTOH, you got to the bottom a
lot faster!

> On the other term being discussed: Â  David L. Gold, "Three New-York-Cityisms: Â _Sliding Pond_, _Potsy_, and _Akey_, Â _American Speech_ 56 (1981): 17-32.

Those people sure have a funny way of talking, don't they? I found out
yesterday what a sliding pond was. "Potsy" isn't new, but I don't know
what it is. But, "akey"? That's a new one on me!

--
-Wilson
-----