1947 Archie Comic "butthole." What did it mean?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 3 17:04:27 UTC 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 12:38 PM, David A. Daniel wrote:

> Polite society (ahem) refers neither to assholes nor armpits as examples of
> that which everyone has, but to belly buttons. We could learn, for example,
> from the Mexicans who call/used to call VW beetles (the old variety)
> "ombligos" (belly buttons) because, of course, everybody has/had one.

> think one criterion for citing something that everyone has must be that it
> has to be at least mildly amusing. I mean, otherwise, we could just as
> easily cite intestines, livers, hearts, noses, ears, teeth - well maybe not
> teeth, but almost everything else not gender specific.
> DAD

Another criterion, to judge from our collection, is concavity.

And of course they needn't be body parts at all; we could cite alienable but ubiquitous possessions.  I've always liked this line from Pope, which is nicely adaptable to (though presumably not designed for) the non-idiosyncracy of grammaticality judgments:

'Tis with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.

LH