The playground "slide"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 3 17:25:18 UTC 2012

I do recall a single, ancient, wooden slide at the end of a line of shiny
new metal slides in the long-vanished 66th Street playground in Central
Park.

As for slidingpondophobia, some of us knew what a "pond" was, and we knew
what a "slide" was.  You might as well have called it a "sliding
cantaloupe."  It was surreal. Kids who thought it was some kind of pond
were nuts. And their parents encouraged them. It was especially frightening
to see adults so grossly deluded.

Now, a "sliding board" would have seemed less odd. Especially if it was
wood.

JL